Friday, June 26, 2009

Farewell my Friend

I got a phone call on Monday night from one of my very oldest friends. We've known each other since primary school and she's one of the special people in my life. We hardly ever see each other and we don't often talk but when we do, it's like we've never been apart. She knows things about me that nobody else does because of our long association and she understands things about me just from knowing my family background. We can talk about things, knowing that the other knows who or what incident we're referring to from our pasts without having to go into any explanations about reasons or motivations etc.

She rang me to say she and her husband and two children are moving back to Canada to live, permanently. I wasn't too surprised that they are moving but I was surprised that next Tuesday is the day. I last saw her in September when Gibbo and I went to Rocky for a bull sale; I rang her from the saleyards and she came and picked me up and took me for a tour, then to lunch at her house. We talked so much, I ended up being late to pick Gibbo up; he was left stranded on the side of the road at a little place that had a phone box and a pub.

Anyway, I went for coffee with her on Wednesday morning, to catch up and to say goodbye. It was so good to see her but we only had an hour and it was just pitifully not long enough to say everything we wanted to say to each other. We both ended up in tears of course and it was really sad to say goodbye. The good thing is that she'll be going back into a strong support system, both in her church community and her husband's family (they had lived in Canada before). It also means I can go and visit her sometime.

So Goodbye and Good Luck Jude - I hope the move works out just the way you want it to, for you and your family but especially for you.

No comments: