Sunday, February 8, 2009

Riding the Flat and Saying Goodbye....

This morning I planned on going into town to do a mini tri (minus the run) with Kat and Lucy but my car was playing up so instead, I rode 20km to Pirrinuan and back. It was the first time I'd ridden since mid November and it was fantastic. I've missed it, without really realising it.

I said goodbye to A, out loud, had a little conversation with her and wished her well then put her in that little wooden rowboat and sent her out to sea. There were so many times we rode and talked and laughed and struggled and cried. In a sense, this morning was a new beginning for me as well as a letting go. Riding the roads around here will always remind me of her and bring up memories but that's ok, they're all happy ones. She was a big part of my life for nearly six years and I loved having her in it. She was the sister I never had, the person in the world that I felt understood me best and there was a closeness and intimacy that I don't have with anyone else. It took me 41 years to find her. I knew what she'd be thinking and she'd know what I'd be thinking. Sometimes we could look at each other and raise an eyebrow and that's all that needed to be said! Our outlook on life was the same. Sometimes I couldn't wait to tell her stuff and sometimes we didn't talk for a week but that was ok. We often texted like a pair of teenagers. I feel sad that she's not in my life anymore but it's a philosophical sadness rather than a teary sadness. A kind of "oh well, that's how it turned out". She was very special.

1 comment:

Retreat said...

Goodbye is so final. Good memories
never lets us say goodbye...