Thursday, February 26, 2009

Ride Like a Girl

Here's my bike - isn't she beautiful. After going for that first ride a couple of weeks ago, I haven't been able to stop. It's been fantastic. I put my gear on, drive to the front gate and off I go.
I've ridden 'round and 'round the local residential estate, down to Pirrinuan, over to the quarry grid, down to the school bus turnaround then up the hill to the quarry where I stopped in and talked to Peter for half an hour and on Sunday I rode to town, destination Coffee Club. Gibbo met me there and brought me home. It was a terrific ride, tough in places, but I had a tailwind from
the piggery to town so I felt like I was flying.
Today I rode to the quarry grid, back to the old cattleyards on the highway, back to the quarry turnoff, then home. I ride the uphills in a big gear on the front and as small a back gear as I can manage (I can never remember whether that's a high gear or a low gear) so that I really grind out the miles and get some strength back into my legs after having a few months off.
I have really been loving it and it's a very liberating feeling for me. I feel fit and strong and confident and independent. Sometimes I ride with my ipod and just shuffle the songs so I'm never really sure what's coming up next. Some have great pedalling rhythm, some I skip. Some bring a smile to my face, reminding me of good times long gone or not so long gone.
The sun is shining, the sky is blue, the breeze is blowing, the sorghum is turning from green to red, the grass on the side of the road is bright green and shoulder high, the hay bales dot the paddocks and it's just brilliant.
Ride like a GIRL................................

No comments: