Sunday, May 22, 2016

Hanging Pork

Thursday 12/05 we loaded 5 pigs and took them to the local butcher. Loading 5 pigs when your facilities are really only at 75% is fraught with frustration and when one of you is built like a grasshopper (ie all skinny arms and legs and angles), one of you is likely to get knocked around a bit. I dread loading pigs. I always end up with a body part crushed, scraped, knocked or bleeding. This time I nearly got knocked out whilst hugging and waltzing with a 65 kilo screaming boar that didn't wish to go where I wished him to go. We got him in the end though.

On Monday we went and did a chiller assessment on them, happy enough with the amount of marbling and fat. We've had some good feedback from the people who ended up with half a pig each - "ecstatic", "bloody beautiful" and "best pork I've had in a long time".

Here's to Woodlawn Pork's future…..



No comments: