Sunday, February 15, 2015

More Girls

After the excitement of the Thermo arriving I went to work for a few hours then came home to unload 40 cows and heifers we bought last week; a mixture of wagyu/wagyu x and angus/angus x. The truck made it's way slowly up our narrow driveway and we unloaded the cows to one of the paddocks at the back of the yards and the heifers into the yard pens. We needed to keep them separate as the cows are in calf and the heifers had to go up to the wagyu bull. G was in Brisbane at meetings; by the time he made it home dusk wasn't far away so we hooked in and got their tags read and moved them to their paddocks.


The heifers.


The cows.








The heifers went up first to their paddock; Gibbo followed them up. I gave him a few minutes to get them sorted and to open the gate for the cows; I let them out and off they went.






You're actually not allowed to run out of the yards and up the laneway but they're new and they haven't learnt that yet!


I followed along behind, hoping that G had had time to get the gate set up. I don't like getting yelled at.


He was ready, waiting for them. I hoped they weren't going to get spooked when they saw him and turn around to come barrelling back down the laneway towards me. I don't think I could have stopped 24 frisky cows just by waving my arms. All good. They were very well behaved and dutifully turned right into their paddock.







So Woodlawn is home for these girls for the next little while. They won't be permanent fixtures; we'll turn them over when the time is right and buy in some fb wagyu heifers or cows to replace the ones we sold in December due to the dry and as replacements for some of the older girls in the original herd.

No comments: